Căpriana Monastery is one of the oldest monasteries of the Republic of Moldova, dating back to the early 1420s. Soon after it was established the monastery was given ‘Royal’ status after visits by the ruling heirachy including Alexandru cel Bun otherwise known as Alexander The Good, Stefan del Mare or Stefan the Great and Alexandru Lăpuşneanu. The monastery is located 35 kms north-west of Chișinău in the picturesque Străşeni district of the Codri Forest region.
The monastery has been offering accommodation to visitors since 2008 when it was restored after being devastated by the Communists. Twin guestrooms are now available and bathrooms are shared. All meals are served. A donation is requested for overnight stays.
Frumoasa Monastery is located on the banks of the River Ikel in a pretty, rural area approximately 40 km north of Chisinau (the capital of the Republic of Moldova). The nuns who live here offer accommodation to men and women during the summer months (from April) and meals are available if required. At present, bathrooms are on a shared basis. There is no set charge for overnight stays and accommodation is offered on a donation basis. Day visitors are welcome and a ‘monastery tour’ to Hincu and Capriana can be arranged from here for a small charge. The monasteries are open every day from 6:00 to 20:00, including week-ends. Access for the disabled is not provided.
Dress code for men visiting the monastery churches: knees and shoulders must be covered at all times. For women: preferably a skirt covering the knees and shoulders while the head must be covered at all times.
Nisporeni District – Bursuc
Hincu ( Hâncu) Monastery
Hincu Monastery is located in the tiny village of Bursac in the Nisporeni area of central Moldova. The monastery was founded in 1678 and is said to be one of the richest monasteries in the country. The monastery was shut down by the Soviets for over 30 years from 1956 and since it was reopened in the 1990s the nuns attached to the monastery have been offering year round accommodation to men, women and children. Meals are available and are prepared using monastery grown produce. The sisters bottle and sell water from mineral springs located on the property.